Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The mistakes keep coming.

First thing Monday morning, I called the joist company to find my joist that was missing for the second time. They insist they sent it, and maybe I just didn't see it? You think we all missed a 17' joist? No. So instead of waiting all day again to find it, I sent BIL out with the big truck to pick one up. When he arrived, they told him they'd found our joist in the back, and it never made it on the truck on Friday. So he brought it to the site. He got there 20 minutes after the truck dropped off the first one. So it turns out we have 2? No. They actually sent 2 wrong joists last week. One was the wrong joist, but the right length. So Framer used it. The other one was the wrong type AND wrong length. Framer replaced the one he used and now we have 2 joists to return.

I then solved the mystery of joist company #2's tall wall quote. They misread a measurement, and quoted on a 30' wall instead of a 20' wall. Once that was straightened out, they were able to revise the quote and came in at half company #1. Except they've now missed a whole bunch of stuff. But it's inexpensive stuff, so they'll probably still be a few thousand cheaper.

The electric company was supposed to come yesterday to hook up our temporary power. They didn't show. Several phone calls and a day later, I find out that when the electric company says "scheduled for Monday", they mean "send it to be scheduled on Monday." Why on Earth would I want them to wait 3 days just to get in the queue? I thought I was waiting 3 days to ensure I was 100% ready. I'm now waiting another 2 weeks for them to actually do the work. But at least I'm in the list.

I woke up in the middle of the night with the realization that Framer didn't make a hole for our fireplace. When we pointed it out to him (this morning, I didn't call him at 2am!), he said he didn't realize there was a fireplace because the joist plan didn't have joists to support the fireplace. He thought the markings on Ryan's drawings were indicating something on the 2nd floor. The joist company missed this, and Ryan missed that they missed it. So now we need the engineers to determine how to support the fireplace. Do we cantilever more joists out the side? A bracket screwed on the outside?

Framer missed the mudroom door. This was discovered by BIL. I guess that's why he kept calling it a closet.

BIL was then teasing me about our giant hole for our staircase, which seems to take up half the house. So we measured it, and we realized that Ryan has left a 6 inch gap around the staircase. So our landings are floating in mid air. Perhaps this is why our stair case quotes are so expensive? Because they're spec'ing a force field to keep the stairs suspended? I think MrDinks would happily pay for that. So I guess our landings are going to be 6" deeper. But otherwise, it's a normal sized staircase.

I spoke to the engineer about a fix for the pads in the basement, and he asked me to take some measurements. So I climbed the ladder into my basement for the first time since the floor went on. The big one is 54" square. According to the engineer, they should have been 60" square. So, another Oops.

Framer started on the interior walls on the first floor, and commented that the double wall between the kitchen and mudroom seemed weird. I explained that it's a utility channel. He pointed out that it's sitting on top of a joist, so we can't drill up through that.

The joist company was supposed to deliver the 2nd floor joists today. Another truck didn't arrive.

The garbage bin was dropped off, and they put it in the wrong spot.

I think I need to increase the wine budget.

MrDinks and I picked up a bathtub from Kijiji last night. I had looked at it months ago. It's in worse shape than I thought, so I'll need to have it refinished. On the upside, I can take it directly to the site and not worry about trades dropping bags of nails into it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment