Friday, December 19, 2014

Kitchen struggles

So, I thought I was all on top of this stuff. I had pretty good idea of the kitchen layout, the appliances, and a kitchen company picked. That's all gone to pot in the last few weeks. First, the walls keep moving. So the space I have to work with on the kitchen keep changing. Minor issues I guess.

A big problem is that the oven I wanted is no longer available. And there are no replacements. My current oven is a free standing, all in one unit with 2 ovens. My favourite feature is the small upper oven. It's big enough for a cookie sheet, or casserole dish. And because it's small, it heats up instantly, so I use it 90% of the time. It even acts as a toaster oven. 6 months ago (or more), I looked into the options for appliances. They don't make wall ovens small like my current oven. If you've got the space for a wall oven, surely you'd want 2 full sized ones, right? So, I was sticking with a stand alone oven/stove unit. But, I wanted induction. At the time, they had *just* started making dual ovens with induction tops. There were 2 models available, and I was hopeful that more would come out by the time I needed to purchase. So that was my plan. Now, those 2 models have been discontinued. And not a single manufacturer has come out with another one. The current trend in ovens is not a true double oven like I have now. Instead, they sell single ovens that come with a divider. What? How is this an improvement? Instead of a full size oven and a small oven, you now get a regular size oven that you can divide into 2 small ovens. And they may or may not have different temperatures, depending on how well the divider works. And you can't bake in both, because the upper "oven" won't have a bottom element. And you've only got 1 door. Geniuses. I could get a gas stove with dual ovens. But then I'm getting a gas oven. They don't make dual ovens with dual fuel. So, I've decided to get a free standing induction stove/oven, and a second wall oven. No more lovely little, efficient oven. But at least I'm not stuck with a single oven.

The next major issue is that the local company I picked, based on the manufacturer of the cabinets. is no longer carrying those cabinets. So now I either need to get different cabinets, or work with a different company. So I'm pretty much back at square 1.

And I am going away for work for a month, and need to get the cabinets ordered before I go. Argh!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment