Thursday, January 8, 2015

Fired siding guys and lost materials

Activity slowed a little over Christmas. BIL and Intern built a few interior walls in preparation for electrical while MrDinks and I installed the pipes for a central vacuum.

The siding guys never came back. On the Friday after New Years, the boss emailed me an explanation that his guys said they had less than a day's worth of work to do. So he put the final payment on the card, assuming it would be done that day, and then went on Christmas vacation. BS. He had obviously  been checking his voicemail while he was away, since it was full one day and clear the next. He could have replied sooner. 

Plus, they have a LOT more than a day's worth of work left. The house wrap isn't taped and is coming off. And the strapping is mostly in the wrong spot, so not screwed into studs. He assured me the guys would be out over the weekend to finish up. I asked him to let me know exactly when they were coming so I could have someone meet them and show them the outstanding issues. And I have not heard from him again.

I sent one more email asking him to refund the final payment until the work was done. Crickets. So MrDinks has filed a claim with Visa. And now he and Intern are going to finish the taping and strapping.

On Sunday, I went to the site to shovel the walks after a big snowfall. MrDinks asked me to pick up some of the waterproofing material so that siding guys wouldn't show up and install it wrongly. I walked into the house, and found plastic wrap laying on the floor. My first thought was that it was from the waterproofing membrane, so I looked at the label on it. It was from the metal flashing we had made for the edge of the roof. So, where's the flashing? Missing. This was custom sized for the look we are after. There was other stuff laying around for around the windows that's not custom, that's still there. Only the custom stuff is missing. I checked with the roofers to see if they'd moved it. Nope, they haven't been around. It's so weird that someone would bother to unwrap what they were going to steal.

The fireplace still has not been ordered. I tried to do it just after Christmas. But then they tell me they can't take my order until they come and check the site. Because I might be lying about the location of the fireplace and the fact that gas is already going to be installed? Can you go waste my time looking at the site in the next couple of days? Oh, no. Everyone's on holidays. I tried to tell them that in the dozens of times I had been in there with various questions, someone should have mentioned that they NEED to visit the site. But they wouldn't let me finish a sentence, and told me they didn't want my business. They have since phoned me and apologized and offered me a potential deal. But I haven't taken them up on it yet.

And now, due to the theft, the house is locked up. So nobody can just go check it out. Someone has to meet them. And I am off to Toronto for a few weeks of work and visting my nephews. So MrDinks can take care of it. Or it can wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment