We got our inspection passed early last week. It involved getting drawings for how exterior insulation is supposed to be installed. Because seeing it in person wasn't good enough. That was supplied by our environmental consultant for $250. Another unnecessary expense thanks to the city.
With the inspection passed, they started insulation. Over the weekend, MrDinks and I were on site working on a few things, and the insulation guys were there working on the loft ceiling. They didn't realize that we had the lights hooked up. And MrDinks didn't realize they'd tucked a lightbulb up under the plastic vapour barrier. He turned on the light, and a few minutes later the insulators started freaking out. The bulb was heating up and had already started to melt some insulation. Fortunately they cut it out before it became a major incident.
On Tuesday night, I came to the house and walked up the stairs and discovered that they'd insulated all around the ensuite bathroom. MrDinks had wanted the wall between the shower and bedroom insulated because there was supposed to be plumbing in that wall. The plumbing got moved, but he left the insulation request in. And somehow they misunderstood and insulated the whole bathroom. It makes me laugh every time I walk up the stairs.
The kitchen still isn't ordered. But the design is finalized. I am just waiting now on sample doors of my custom colour, and final pricing. I am also waiting on the pricing of the bathroom, mudroom and window seat cabinets.
I have ordered tile for one of the bathrooms. It should be in in a couple of weeks.
We are also working on stair details. I have requested a new quote from the original stair company. Their first quote of $125,000 doesn't seem unreasonable now that the framing is done and we realize that Ryan had designed them to have floating landings. We've built the landings, and attached them to the walls, so the rest of the stairs should be much cheaper now. Plus, we bought a Direct Buy membership to save money on the kitchen cabinets, and the stair company offers a Direct Buy discount. So that should bring the price down to reasonable.
Also, one of the women I am working with has a husband that's a welder. His work building oil rigs has slowed down, so he is interested in building the stairs for us. I've also gotten quotes for the steel material, and unless the stair company comes in with really good price, having the welder build them on site looks like the best option.
We've gone through the building code with a fine tooth comb, and come to the decision that aircraft cable that's parallel to the stringers is completely acceptable. The stair companies won't build it, but welder guy will. The code specifically says the railings can't "encourage climbing." When I told Welder that, he suggested that if we electrify the railing, it won't encourage climbing. He and MrDinks may become very good friends.
If welder guy builds the stairs, we'll need to source the stair treads elsewhere. I've had that quoted by our 2 potential hardwood flooring guys. The first one wants $350 per stair. We have 46 stairs, so that's over $16k. Um, no. The other guy wants $110 for the wood, reclaimed fir, plus $100 to have him finish them. So that I can do myself and save close to $5k. But we're looking into other sources for the wood. I've discovered we can get a planer for ~$500. I've wanted a planer for a long time. And buying raw wood from various lumber sources comes in around $35 per tread. So, just need to decide on what material I want to use. And that's going to depend on what we decide for the rest of the flooring.
With the inspection passed, they started insulation. Over the weekend, MrDinks and I were on site working on a few things, and the insulation guys were there working on the loft ceiling. They didn't realize that we had the lights hooked up. And MrDinks didn't realize they'd tucked a lightbulb up under the plastic vapour barrier. He turned on the light, and a few minutes later the insulators started freaking out. The bulb was heating up and had already started to melt some insulation. Fortunately they cut it out before it became a major incident.
On Tuesday night, I came to the house and walked up the stairs and discovered that they'd insulated all around the ensuite bathroom. MrDinks had wanted the wall between the shower and bedroom insulated because there was supposed to be plumbing in that wall. The plumbing got moved, but he left the insulation request in. And somehow they misunderstood and insulated the whole bathroom. It makes me laugh every time I walk up the stairs.
The kitchen still isn't ordered. But the design is finalized. I am just waiting now on sample doors of my custom colour, and final pricing. I am also waiting on the pricing of the bathroom, mudroom and window seat cabinets.
I have ordered tile for one of the bathrooms. It should be in in a couple of weeks.
We are also working on stair details. I have requested a new quote from the original stair company. Their first quote of $125,000 doesn't seem unreasonable now that the framing is done and we realize that Ryan had designed them to have floating landings. We've built the landings, and attached them to the walls, so the rest of the stairs should be much cheaper now. Plus, we bought a Direct Buy membership to save money on the kitchen cabinets, and the stair company offers a Direct Buy discount. So that should bring the price down to reasonable.
Also, one of the women I am working with has a husband that's a welder. His work building oil rigs has slowed down, so he is interested in building the stairs for us. I've also gotten quotes for the steel material, and unless the stair company comes in with really good price, having the welder build them on site looks like the best option.
We've gone through the building code with a fine tooth comb, and come to the decision that aircraft cable that's parallel to the stringers is completely acceptable. The stair companies won't build it, but welder guy will. The code specifically says the railings can't "encourage climbing." When I told Welder that, he suggested that if we electrify the railing, it won't encourage climbing. He and MrDinks may become very good friends.
If welder guy builds the stairs, we'll need to source the stair treads elsewhere. I've had that quoted by our 2 potential hardwood flooring guys. The first one wants $350 per stair. We have 46 stairs, so that's over $16k. Um, no. The other guy wants $110 for the wood, reclaimed fir, plus $100 to have him finish them. So that I can do myself and save close to $5k. But we're looking into other sources for the wood. I've discovered we can get a planer for ~$500. I've wanted a planer for a long time. And buying raw wood from various lumber sources comes in around $35 per tread. So, just need to decide on what material I want to use. And that's going to depend on what we decide for the rest of the flooring.
.jpg)







No comments:
Post a Comment