This month, the garage pad got poured, the painters came in and primed, and we started on siding. We also finished the welding on the stairs, despite a major setback there.
I was away for a week with a girlfriend on a shopping trip in NYC, when MrDinks discovered another break-in at the site. The criminals broke the lockbox off the fence and took it away, then came back later with the key. They stole the welder and welder's toolbox. They also cut the underground cable from the house to the power pole. This is when we learned that our insurance doesn't cover tools left on the site. And the welder hadn't gotten around to listing his new welder on his own policy yet. Annoying and expensive. We're now using the keypad built into the back door for letting trades into the house.
The hardwood arrived while I was away and is acclimatizing on site. The finisher I've booked showed up while BIL was working in the house with the back door open. He panicked that the material is being dried out. So once it's installed, he wants the house locked up for several weeks with the humidifier cranked. And he's now scheduling us for July. I told him that won't work for us. He then phoned me while I was at a funeral and didn't answer. So he sent me an email telling me he's quit. This was the second finisher I'd tried to hire. The first guy kept put off giving me a quote, and every time I spoke to him, his availability date had slipped another month. So now I'm looking for a 3rd finisher.
Our framer has agreed to come back and do the siding, so that started this month, too.
I was away for a week with a girlfriend on a shopping trip in NYC, when MrDinks discovered another break-in at the site. The criminals broke the lockbox off the fence and took it away, then came back later with the key. They stole the welder and welder's toolbox. They also cut the underground cable from the house to the power pole. This is when we learned that our insurance doesn't cover tools left on the site. And the welder hadn't gotten around to listing his new welder on his own policy yet. Annoying and expensive. We're now using the keypad built into the back door for letting trades into the house.
The hardwood arrived while I was away and is acclimatizing on site. The finisher I've booked showed up while BIL was working in the house with the back door open. He panicked that the material is being dried out. So once it's installed, he wants the house locked up for several weeks with the humidifier cranked. And he's now scheduling us for July. I told him that won't work for us. He then phoned me while I was at a funeral and didn't answer. So he sent me an email telling me he's quit. This was the second finisher I'd tried to hire. The first guy kept put off giving me a quote, and every time I spoke to him, his availability date had slipped another month. So now I'm looking for a 3rd finisher.
Our framer has agreed to come back and do the siding, so that started this month, too.
![]() |
| From the office looking up to the loft |
![]() |
| The preparations for the garage pad |


No comments:
Post a Comment