I spent the month of May oiling mahogany for the exterior trim. Framer worked throughout the month, when it wasn't raining, on the siding.
Hardwood got installed on the main floor. Then when he went to the 3rd floor, he discovered that our "3rd grade" material was actually firewood. Entire bundles were being rejected because the holes were either more than half the width of the board, or were on an edge, and not structurally sound. So it's all been sent back, but it's a few weeks delay to get new stuff. And now the new stuff will be premium grade at the price of the 3rd grade stuff. Too bad the 2nd grade quality stuff has already been installed on the main floor. And fortunately, it hasn't caused an issue with the installer's schedule.
The framing package was delivered for the garage, and we had the porta potty moved to the front yard to make room, They moved it to the sidewalk in front of the NEIGHBOUR's house. How would you like that in their shoes? BIL discovered it and moved it before they noticed. Or at least before they called me about it.
I struggled with paint colours this month. I must have bought 10 different samples of white paint. MrDinks can't see the difference between any of them. The problem is that the brand the painter likes won't do sample pots in off white, because they can't divide the colourant into small enough drops. So I'm either going to have to take a darker colour, or go with a sample from a different brand, and hope the painter's colour match is close enough. I had also planned to just do off-white everywhere, and add accent colours later. But MrDinks has declared that having paid pros to paint our walls, I am not allowed to paint them after we move in. So that's adding pressure to me to pick the right one. And changing the plan I've had for months, and since the painters are eager to get in, I've only got a few days to change the plan. I finally decided to let them colour match. They got the stairs painted and are now lacquering the trim. I'm going to have them stop there so we can get the floors finished upstairs.
While waiting on the floors upstairs, BIL installed the cabinets in the kitchen. Kitchen counters are a new hiccup. I'd always planned to do slate like we have in the old house. But there's only one place in town to get them. And those guys are over charging. So I am now shopping for honed black granite.
We also had pros come in and install the tile on the floors in the bathrooms upstairs. They completely ignored our request that the tile height match the height of the wood in the hall. It's about an 1/8" too low. But otherwise it looks good. MrDinks did the waterproofing in the showers and I will be tiling those.
Hardwood got installed on the main floor. Then when he went to the 3rd floor, he discovered that our "3rd grade" material was actually firewood. Entire bundles were being rejected because the holes were either more than half the width of the board, or were on an edge, and not structurally sound. So it's all been sent back, but it's a few weeks delay to get new stuff. And now the new stuff will be premium grade at the price of the 3rd grade stuff. Too bad the 2nd grade quality stuff has already been installed on the main floor. And fortunately, it hasn't caused an issue with the installer's schedule.
The framing package was delivered for the garage, and we had the porta potty moved to the front yard to make room, They moved it to the sidewalk in front of the NEIGHBOUR's house. How would you like that in their shoes? BIL discovered it and moved it before they noticed. Or at least before they called me about it.
I struggled with paint colours this month. I must have bought 10 different samples of white paint. MrDinks can't see the difference between any of them. The problem is that the brand the painter likes won't do sample pots in off white, because they can't divide the colourant into small enough drops. So I'm either going to have to take a darker colour, or go with a sample from a different brand, and hope the painter's colour match is close enough. I had also planned to just do off-white everywhere, and add accent colours later. But MrDinks has declared that having paid pros to paint our walls, I am not allowed to paint them after we move in. So that's adding pressure to me to pick the right one. And changing the plan I've had for months, and since the painters are eager to get in, I've only got a few days to change the plan. I finally decided to let them colour match. They got the stairs painted and are now lacquering the trim. I'm going to have them stop there so we can get the floors finished upstairs.
While waiting on the floors upstairs, BIL installed the cabinets in the kitchen. Kitchen counters are a new hiccup. I'd always planned to do slate like we have in the old house. But there's only one place in town to get them. And those guys are over charging. So I am now shopping for honed black granite.
We also had pros come in and install the tile on the floors in the bathrooms upstairs. They completely ignored our request that the tile height match the height of the wood in the hall. It's about an 1/8" too low. But otherwise it looks good. MrDinks did the waterproofing in the showers and I will be tiling those.
![]() |
| Trim painting in progress |
![]() |
| Stairs and installed unfinished floors |
![]() |
| A piece of the first shipment of flooring |
![]() |
| Mahogany around front door |
![]() |
| Kitchen cabinets installed |
![]() |
| Ensuite bathroom floor tile |
![]() |
| Slate herringbone on the the hall bath floor |
![]() |
| Stair railings drying on the baker's rack |
![]() |
| Doors drying in the guest room |











No comments:
Post a Comment