Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Almost ready to start...

Last week, after we got notice that we had our partial building permit, I contacted the survey company to get them started on staking out the lot. I also followed up on Friday that they had all they needed. I then arranged with the excavation crew. Excavating *may* start this Friday. Their previous job was due to be finished Thursday, so they'd start on ours on Friday or early next week. Monday is a holiday, so they'd likely start on Wednesday.

MrDinks and I went to the lot on Sunday and set up the time lapse camera. So we'll soon have video of our weeds growing.

Foundation will be scheduled once the excavation starts. We decided to go with BIL's guy. He won't do the insulation, even though we sent him a document produced by the federal government recommending this as the way to go. We'll have to do the insulation ourselves once he's done.

I'm still working on getting a framer lined up. They all say they're too busy to start on our job in the next month. That might be okay, given other delays. But not a single one has even given us a quote. So I'm not sure how I can even get them scheduled. Hopefully that means nobody else is scheduling them, either?

Then, this afternoon, I got an email from the survey company asking when I wanted them to do the staking. Um, what? I thought it was going on right now! I told them the diggers were coming on Friday, so they'll be staking tomorrow (Thursday). They then called Ryan for some clarification, and apparently told him that they're staking it out tomorrow. Phew.

I am also finalizing the ensuite bathroom design. I have been considering this shower base. It's the Fleurco Urbana. It has storage underneath the bench. We'd build the wall around it such that you could access the back storage from the toilet room.
However, this baby takes about 3 months to order in. If this is what I want, I need to order it now to get it here before we're plumbing the bathroom. We should probably have it before we frame.

So, I need to confirm that there's nothing out there I want to tile the floor of the shower, and the shower bench with. If not, I need this base. So I'm back to visiting tile show rooms.

This has led me to discover the floor tile I wanted for the ensuite is discontinued. My second choice is also discontinued. Every other ugly or expensive stuff I saw 6 months ago is still around. And not much is new. So, I'm back to visiting EVERY show room. In my defense, though, in the case of the floor tile, I tried to order it in May. It was nice enough and cheap enough to be worth storing it for 6+ months. But it was backordered. Now, it is no longer even on display in the showroom.

I've learned my lesson. When I pick something, I will order it. I won't wait until a month before I need it, I will buy it NOW.

Just gotta decide first. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment