We got an email from Ryan this morning that he went into the city and got our building permit application submitted.
Yesterday, I was still skeptical. Ryan was again asking for the "deck engineering". After emails, texts and voicemails, we finally got on the phone. BIL was right, he was talking about the porch posts. Ryan predicted the city would want us to show the support for the posts. That's what BIL has been saying all along. But Ryan didn't think it would be good enough to just show sono tubes and rebar. He thought they'd want an engineer letter confirming that was the proper support. BIL had said they wouldn't. Ryan predicted he would be sent home at the counter.
I convinced Ryan to try to submit it. If they wanted an engineer's letter, we'd get it. If we didn't apply now, we could spend another 2 weeks getting more engineering done, and drawings updated. That could be a waste of time if the city didn't need it anyway.
He agreed, and went down and submitted the application. They said nothing about the porch posts. They want an engineer's letter for the header above the garage door. But they took the application and we need to provide that when we get it. They also wanted the front windows on the 3rd floor lowered. Ryan pulled out his pen and white out and changed that on site.
And then he got our partial permit, which allows us to dig our foundation while they review the application.
So, now I need to book the survey, excavators and foundation crews. I also need to find a framer. The survey will probably be done next week. The excavators are booking about 2 weeks out. I am waiting on one guy to update his quote, and then we can pick one.
I still have to find a foundation guy who will do the exterior insulation at a reasonable price. I called one guy today whose name was on a couple of construction site fences. He scoffed at the "short notice" I was giving him. Still digging up other potentials.
Yesterday, I was still skeptical. Ryan was again asking for the "deck engineering". After emails, texts and voicemails, we finally got on the phone. BIL was right, he was talking about the porch posts. Ryan predicted the city would want us to show the support for the posts. That's what BIL has been saying all along. But Ryan didn't think it would be good enough to just show sono tubes and rebar. He thought they'd want an engineer letter confirming that was the proper support. BIL had said they wouldn't. Ryan predicted he would be sent home at the counter.
I convinced Ryan to try to submit it. If they wanted an engineer's letter, we'd get it. If we didn't apply now, we could spend another 2 weeks getting more engineering done, and drawings updated. That could be a waste of time if the city didn't need it anyway.
He agreed, and went down and submitted the application. They said nothing about the porch posts. They want an engineer's letter for the header above the garage door. But they took the application and we need to provide that when we get it. They also wanted the front windows on the 3rd floor lowered. Ryan pulled out his pen and white out and changed that on site.
And then he got our partial permit, which allows us to dig our foundation while they review the application.
So, now I need to book the survey, excavators and foundation crews. I also need to find a framer. The survey will probably be done next week. The excavators are booking about 2 weeks out. I am waiting on one guy to update his quote, and then we can pick one.
I still have to find a foundation guy who will do the exterior insulation at a reasonable price. I called one guy today whose name was on a couple of construction site fences. He scoffed at the "short notice" I was giving him. Still digging up other potentials.
No comments:
Post a Comment