Thursday, August 21, 2014

Aaaand... Stop.

Today was concrete spraying day. We've waited the 2 weeks until the concrete spray guys could get to us. I called on Monday to confirm we were still on for today. No response. The foundation guy wanted to know if he was going to be able to start on Friday, so I tried the spraycrete guys again on Wednesday. No response.

Surely the silence is affirmative, right? If they WEREN'T coming, they'd send me a quick email, or leave me a return voicemail, "hey, we're a little behind, see you on Monday," right?

Hahahahahaha! Silly newbie.

I went by the lot at noon today. Nothing. No sprayed concrete. No workers. Nothing. So I called the office again, and left another voicemail.

I also called the foundation guy, who works with this company fairly regularly. Could he poke these guys for me? Turns out, they aren't returning HIS calls, either. He has several other jobs that are waiting on the spraycrete before he can start, and they aren't showing up to those jobs, either. Hmm, this doesn't sound good.

So I spent the afternoon calling around to see if there's anyone else to do it. Before booking these guys, I spoke to the 3 companies who come up when you Google "spraycrete Calgary". The first guy was booked for the next year on commercial projects. He suggested we try #3. The second guy does solid, engineered retaining walls, overkill for our needs. Also, they want us to backfill the lot so they can bring in big equipment to drive spikes into the dirt, which only has 3 feet before it hits the wall of the neighbour's basement. Besides spending a whole lot of money to go backwards, driving spikes into the neighbour's basement wall seems like a bad way to start off in the neighbourhood. Number 3 is the guy who has disappeared. Calling around to various companies in related industries got me lots of "have you tried Number 3?"

So back on the phone with the foundation guy. What can we do? There's nobody to spray the concrete. BIL has done wooden walls in the past, can we do that? Well, since we've gone 2 weeks, during which we've had serious rain, and high heat, and the wall of dirt has not moved at all, the wood is probably fine. But the foundation guy doesn't have guys to build it, and he doesn't know BILs schedule. I told him if not BIL, then MrDinks would get it done. So the plan now is to build the wooden wall on Monday. MrDinks and I will pick up the materials on the weekend. Hopefully, we don't have to clean out all the Lowes stores again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment