On Sunday, I got an email from our foundation guy asking for our plans because they might be starting the footings on Monday. Apparently this can be done before the sprayed concrete because it doesn't require standing between a wall of loose dirt and a wall of plywood. But then I asked if he wanted me to bring him paper plans, and he didn't respond. On Monday, I sent him another email asking if they were starting, and in the afternoon, he replied yes, and they were hoping to pour concrete on Tuesday. So I stopped by the lot, and there was a guy there setting up the forms. Yay!
I decided to stop by again this morning, to take pictures of the finished forms waiting for the concrete that would "hopefully" be poured today. A concrete pump truck was there before me. I snapped a picture and sent it to MrDinks. His comment was "A pump truck? How much are we paying for this? I expected wheelbarrows!"
After a half an hour or so, the concrete truck showed up.
And 23 minutes later, we had footings and the concrete truck was on his way to the next job. Apparently the pump truck is cost effective when it allows them to do 16 houses a day.
Yesterday. I went to visit the Direct Buy window place. They didn't have samples of my windows because they had taken them to DB (around the corner) for me to see. DB was closed yesterday. So I drove all the way down there for nothing. They also don't have their install price yet. The guy seems hesitant to get that. He wants to refine the order before getting an install price. I explained to him that I need an install price because if he's $3k cheaper than the other guy, but his install price is $3k more, then they are actually the same price. And the other guy doesn't require me to purchase a membership at Direct Buy to get that price. He also doesn't have the French doors we were planning to get from the other place. He can sell us French doors that are not from the same line as our tilt & turn windows, so they'll open, but don't have the tilting windows. And they probably aren't as weather tight. For patio doors, they offer sliders. For weather efficiency, instead of just sliding, they come loose from the track and then slide. Then, when it closes, it snaps back in place. Super cool. But super expensive. Plus, these are super heavy doors, so they take 2 hands to operate. So carrying stuff to the BBQ would be difficult. And, since we've only got a 6' opening, the opening would be 34" or less. French doors would allow us to have the full 6' open to the deck. On the 4 days a year you can do that here, that's important.
Anyway, the install guy was supposed to be back from holidays today, and the salesman would call me today to set up an appointment. But he didn't. So I'm going to have to harass him tomorrow.
I also found out that another truss company in town would be about $6k cheaper than the company we've been working with. So we're getting new layout from them, which may delay framing.
But we're probably not going to start on framing until October anyway. The new guy is really cheap, and available. But he's a little too good to be true. He claims he'll be done in 2 weeks. With one helper. The other guy says 5 weeks, with a crew. Hmmm.
But, anyway, we have footings!! We have officially started the build!
I decided to stop by again this morning, to take pictures of the finished forms waiting for the concrete that would "hopefully" be poured today. A concrete pump truck was there before me. I snapped a picture and sent it to MrDinks. His comment was "A pump truck? How much are we paying for this? I expected wheelbarrows!"
After a half an hour or so, the concrete truck showed up.
And 23 minutes later, we had footings and the concrete truck was on his way to the next job. Apparently the pump truck is cost effective when it allows them to do 16 houses a day.
Yesterday. I went to visit the Direct Buy window place. They didn't have samples of my windows because they had taken them to DB (around the corner) for me to see. DB was closed yesterday. So I drove all the way down there for nothing. They also don't have their install price yet. The guy seems hesitant to get that. He wants to refine the order before getting an install price. I explained to him that I need an install price because if he's $3k cheaper than the other guy, but his install price is $3k more, then they are actually the same price. And the other guy doesn't require me to purchase a membership at Direct Buy to get that price. He also doesn't have the French doors we were planning to get from the other place. He can sell us French doors that are not from the same line as our tilt & turn windows, so they'll open, but don't have the tilting windows. And they probably aren't as weather tight. For patio doors, they offer sliders. For weather efficiency, instead of just sliding, they come loose from the track and then slide. Then, when it closes, it snaps back in place. Super cool. But super expensive. Plus, these are super heavy doors, so they take 2 hands to operate. So carrying stuff to the BBQ would be difficult. And, since we've only got a 6' opening, the opening would be 34" or less. French doors would allow us to have the full 6' open to the deck. On the 4 days a year you can do that here, that's important.
Anyway, the install guy was supposed to be back from holidays today, and the salesman would call me today to set up an appointment. But he didn't. So I'm going to have to harass him tomorrow.
I also found out that another truss company in town would be about $6k cheaper than the company we've been working with. So we're getting new layout from them, which may delay framing.
But we're probably not going to start on framing until October anyway. The new guy is really cheap, and available. But he's a little too good to be true. He claims he'll be done in 2 weeks. With one helper. The other guy says 5 weeks, with a crew. Hmmm.
But, anyway, we have footings!! We have officially started the build!
.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment